(meteorobs) Leonids 11/16 one gorgeous Leonid

kcstarguy at aol.com kcstarguy at aol.com
Sun Nov 16 06:27:45 EST 2008

meteor? report for 11/16

4-5 am Central time Olathe , KS (near Kansas City)
100% crystal frigid clear skies with the bright past full moon nearly
overhead and a washed out sky. I did not expect to see many meteors due
to this and the fact that the Leonids peak very sharply (in the morning
of11/17/2008)

I thought I was going to be shut out which has never happened.

Finally 4:42 a sporadic 2nd magnitude - nothing to write home about

But at 4:50 a gorgeous zero magnitude yellow Leonid lit up the sky
heading North? towards the bowl of the Big Dipper. The yellow color?
was a nice contrast to the washed out mooned blue sky. A short lived
blue train/trail appeared and then disappeared after the meteor demise.

The fact that it was really cold, eventhough I was in my sleeping bag
with blanket and the few meteors I decided to pack it in and get some
hot chocolate.

I will try for earthgrazers at 9:00 pm and see if there are more during the peak after midnight 11/17.

Dr. Eric Flescher (kcstarguy at aol.com), Olathe, KS:? Lat 38.834, Lon -94.778: Nature's Greatest Spectacle- 2008 & 2009 Total Eclipse- Winco Eclipse Tours, Inc.:www.eclipsetrips.com: Comet Observers Award Coordinator- Astronomical? League / Astronomical Society of Kansas, KC, MO-Louisburg,KS: http://www.astroleague.org/al/obsclubs/comet/comet.htm:? Comet Observers Blog: http://cometobservers.blogspot.com/:Subscribe to Comet Observers newsletter (send your email to):CometObserversAwardAL-subscribe at yahoogroups.com :? Eclipse sightings > http://eclipse-sightings.blogspot.com/: E.O.A.S. (Earth, Oceans, Atmosphere and Space) Blog -<http://eoas-dreric1kansas.blogspot.com/>:sign up for free monthly astronomical newsletter (send message to:
blacksuneclipse-subscribe at egroups.com: Blog <http://blacksuneclipse.blogspot.com/> : Eric's Blacksun Eclipse website : http://members.aol.com/kcstarguy/blacksun/eclipse.htm: State of Kansas-JPL NASA Solar? System Ambassador??? ??? ??? ??? ??? ??? ???