(meteorobs) [IMO-News] enhanced Leonid rates in the morning of Nov 17

Sirko Molau sirko at molau.de
Mon Nov 17 05:09:36 EST 2008

Folks,

after it's been raining all of yesterday and in the night, skies cleared
unexpectedly at my observing site north of Munich at 2:00 UT this morning. At
least one of my non-intensified cameras was running, and the recordings confirm
enhanced Leonid rates till dawn. Here are the plain meteor counts in half hour
intervals:

             LEO     NTA STA SPO
02:00-02:30   9 (38)  0   1   0 (partly clouded)
02:30-03:00  13 (35)  0   0   5
03:00-03:30   6 (15)  0   0   1
03:30-04:00  11 (26)  1   0   0
04:00-04:30  11 (25)  0   0   6
04:30-05:00  12 (27)  1   0   5

In brackets are the hourly LEO counts corrected for the radiant altitude. The
counts are slightly higher that the Orionid counts of the same camera on the
morning of Oct 20 with comparable observing conditioms (moon). Thus, I would
estimate that the Leonid ZHR was of the order of 50 between 2 and 5 UT on Nov
17.

Best,
Sirko

--
*   Sirko Molau                 *                          *
*   Abenstalstr. 13b            *              __          *

<*> Your email settings:
    Individual Email | Traditional

<*> To change settings online go to:
    (Yahoo! ID required)