(meteorobs) Techniques for High, Bright Moon Observing

meteoreye at comcast.net meteoreye at comcast.net
Mon Nov 17 15:37:23 EST 2008

In a case like this morning, my particular observing style leaves me few options. My goal is to record data on as many of the active radiants as possible, so I had no choice but to practically face the moon (though it was so high, nearly overhead (72 degrees elevation), it really wasn't an issue). I had the Taurid radiants on my far right (too late for the Andromedids), then from right to left the NOO, AMO, MON, ORI and LEO radiant on my far left. I could have faced NE, but that would only have allowed me to cover the Leonids, which is not my objective. When the moon is almost directly overhead, there aren't too many other options, other than wearing sunglasses, or hiding the sky. Neither is very effective in recording good meteor data :)

For the more casual observer who has an objective of counting Leonids and calling everything else sporadics, there were better options available.

Wayne

From: Bill Godley <wwgj180 at yahoo.com>