(meteorobs) HALWA at NJAA Nov 19, 2008

meteoreye at comcast.net meteoreye at comcast.net
Wed Nov 19 13:54:51 EST 2008

Weather was very cold and windy, so I limited myself to 2 hours since I am not winter hardened and haven't dug out mid winter gear yet. Temperature was 24 F, coldest session since the Quadrantids in January, but it was windy as well. At least for the Quads, even though it was 12 F, there was almost no wind. This morning the wind was 10-15 mph. All that saved me was that the wind was at my back.

As expected, 2 days past peak, Leonid rate was pretty low. In fact the last hour (only 2 meteors) was what I call a "painfully slow rate", especially with the cold conditions. As usual, used alignment cord for shower association. Brightest meteor was a +0.5 Leonid.

begin    	 2008-11-19 0826
end      	 2008-11-19 1026
observer	 "Wayne T" "Hally" "HALWA"
location	 74 53 54 W, 40 40 52 N
site    	 "NJAA Observatory,High Bridge,NJ" "United States" "25186"

shower	LEO 152 +21
shower	ORI 116 +21
shower	NTA 064 +24
shower	STA 064 +16
shower	AMO 115 +01
shower	MON 080 +08
non IMO shower NOO (Sirko Molau #118, IAU #250)
083 +15, v44

F= 1.00, LM +5.30
No ORI, STA, AMO, or MON meteors were observed. Counts were 0 for the intervals below.
(Note that they were looked for, counts were zero)

UT Time     LEO  NTA  NOO  SPO   TOT   Met/Hr
0826-0926   3        1         1        2        7      7.0
0926-1026   1        1         0        0        2      2.0
0826-1026   4        2         1        2        9       4.5

Totals, 9 meteors  (4.5/Hr) Avg Mag

4 LEO (2.0/Hr) Avg Mag +2.88
2 NTA (1.0/Hr) Avg Mag +3.5
1 NOO (0.5/Hr) Mag +4