(meteorobs) Astrovid "Fireball Camera"

Chris Peterson clp at alumni.caltech.edu
Mon Nov 24 19:33:35 EST 2008

I don't think they use a modified camera- just a basic Watec 902 or similar.
The sensor isn't cooled (that provides no value for meteor work), just the
enclosure, and just by simple air circulation with the outside. I guess if
you're in a real hot climate that might be useful; I've never had any
problem with the camera getting too hot. I heat mine all the time,
circulating waste heat from the camera. That's more than enough to keep the
dome dew and frost free.

To use if constructively for meteor work you need to buy a frame grabber and
UFOCapture. That software works well, but isn't entirely user friendly.
There's a definite learning curve. And anybody can buy UFOCapture- it works
with any video camera and most frame grabbers.

Chris

Chris L Peterson
Cloudbait Observatory
http://www.cloudbait.com