(meteorobs) Astrovid "Fireball Camera"

Paul at paul-pugh.net Paul at paul-pugh.net
Tue Nov 25 07:44:23 EST 2008

Hi Leo, Chris et al

This is my first post to the group... so be gentle..

I have been working on a similar setup for a few months now here in
the UK, see my website for details. I'm also hoping to have a near
real-time feed available for IYA2009 at http://www.spacescan.co.uk/...
well that's the goal at least.

Pitfalls:- Although I live in a relatively low light pollution
location, I am right bang in the middle of high density housing, so
[very] local light issues cause problems but not nearly as many as I
feared.

By far the biggest problem I face is aircraft. The UK is really quite
small when compared to our North American cousins and guess where the
main north/south UK airway is.... that's right about 30,000ft over my
head!

It's also worth pointing out, though you probably have already found
this out, that the component parts (camera, lenses, etc) all seem to
cost a lot more in the UK... then there's the cost of the electricity!

Benefits:- Getting to explain to the wife what all that stuff is on
top of the shed!

Good luck in your project Leo.

Regards

Paul