(meteorobs) Meteor cameras? lower cost, more sensitivity, COLOR & BW

Chris Peterson clp at alumni.caltech.edu
Fri Nov 28 23:05:05 EST 2008

Yes. But star tests are not equivalent to what you get with meteors. Stars
dwell on the same pixels, meteors spend only a short time on any one pixel.
The EX2 version of this camera uses as sensor with more pixels, which are
smaller. The end result is that meteors generally produce a poorer S/N,
which is equivalent to less sensitivity. I've run the two cameras
simultaneously, and the EX2 misses meteors the regular version catches.

(However... I did this test a couple of years ago, and these cameras are
always undergoing silent design changes that aren't apparent in the part
numbers. It's possible something has changed.)

Chris

Chris L Peterson
Cloudbait Observatory
http://www.cloudbait.com