(meteorobs) OT -Proceeding with IR block fireball detonation system.

Chris Peterson clp at alumni.caltech.edu
Sat Nov 29 01:02:17 EST 2008

Larry-

I don't really understand what you're trying to accomplish. At the pixel
scale of allsky video cameras, all meteors are point sources. You can't
resolve anything- even a large explosion is still a point source. Where is
information lost? The main problem is the low dynamic range of the camera.
If you want to record the dimmest possible meteors, you'll saturate brighter
ones. That represents a loss of information. A good video system with a
maximum sensitivity of mag 2 will saturate at about mag -4, or maybe mag -6
for a more esoteric camera. Still, nowhere near enough to accurately record
the magnitude of a significant fireball. Of course, you can use filters to
shift the range, but only at the expense of missing more ordinary meteors.
(I solve this problem using a reference white target, that I can use to read
the reflected light for bright events.)

You may also consider the effects of blooming to result in a loss of
information. Because the shape of the meteor profile changes, it can be
difficult to determine its centroid, and therefore the meteor position.
Since (despite the occasional witness report to the contrary) meteors don't
suddenly change direction, you can usually make an accurate determination of
position by considering the entire sequence, so I haven't considered
blooming a serious problem.

I really don't think you want to include any filters in your system. If you
want low sensitivity for bright fireballs only, a color camera might make
more sense, since you can extract some interesting spectral data from the
raw image.

Chris

Chris L Peterson
Cloudbait Observatory