(meteorobs) OT -Proceeding with IR block fireballdetonationsystem.

Chris Peterson clp at alumni.caltech.edu
Sat Nov 29 10:26:35 EST 2008

Well, it's an interesting project. I believe that all details of the
explosion are likely to be smaller than the pixel scale of the system, so
information will have to be extracted from the light curve alone. By
filtering, you are essentially trying to isolate a narrow portion of that
curve: what's going on just before and just after a fragmentation event, as
well as the production of any debris, will probably be invisible. The
problem is the combination of the narrow dynamic range of cameras and the
huge dynamic range of meteors (even of the much smaller population of
fireballs).

One thing to consider would be setting up a simple photometric system to
monitor allsky brightness. Such a device could have a very wide dynamic
range, and return a high quality light curve for the brighter part of the
event. Another thing to do would be to set up several cameras, operating at
different sensitivities. This would allow you to reconstruct more of the
meteor path, by using only unsaturated data.

The problem, of course, with any experiments like these is that you only get
a few really bright fireballs each year. Makes for slow progress!

Chris

Chris L Peterson
Cloudbait Observatory
http://www.cloudbait.com