(meteorobs) OT -Proceeding with IR block fireball detonation system.

Chris Peterson clp at alumni.caltech.edu
Sat Nov 29 10:34:29 EST 2008

Paco-

Spectral analysis of meteor trails shows that emission lines dominate the
light output. However, I think it is possible, or even probable, based on
visual descriptions, that black body radiation dominates the output of
bright fireballs (which haven't been studied spectroscopically). One way to
study this question is by looking at the relative intensity at two or more
wavelengths. While color cameras aren't ideal for this (I'm setting up a
dual camera system with narrow band filters), it is still possible that
useful information could be extracted from the individual color channels.
The low sensitivity of color cameras makes them a poor choice for ordinary
meteor monitoring, but that is no disadvantage at all if you are
concentrating on fireballs.

Chris

Chris L Peterson
Cloudbait Observatory