(meteorobs) Observation Oct 7/8 2008

Pierre Martin dob14.5 at sympatico.ca
Sat Oct 18 22:20:30 EDT 2008

I went to Moose Creek (about 60km east of Ottawa) on the evening of
October 7 to look for any Giacobinid (GIA) activity.  The Moon was
still up by the time I got there, but I opted to sign-on early to
take advantage of the high radiant.  I faced north to keep the Moon
away from my field and also to keep the GIA radiant well within my
view.  The sky was quite transparent and allowed even the Milky Way
to be easily visible.  The limit mag started at 6.0 and eventually
climbed to 6.2 after the moonset.

In 3 hours of observing, only one possible GIA was seen.  It was a
beautiful slow-moving, and bright (mag -2) meteor seen high up in
Cepheus.  It was well seen and plotted, but this meteor traces back
to a point 9 degrees south of the normal radiant position (a bit much
I think?).

The second hour was dreadfully slow with only 3 sporadics seen.
Fortunately, the 3rd hour picked up with 7 sporadics and 3 Taurids.

Pierre Martin
Ottawa, Ontario

DATE: October 7/8 2008
BEGIN: 01:06 UT (21:06 EDT) END: 04:15 UT (00:15 EDT)
OBSERVER: Pierre Martin (MARPI)
LOCATION: Long: -75.063 West; Lat: 45.269 North  Elevation: 200 ft
City & Province: Moose Creek, Ontario, CANADA
RECORDING METHOD: plotting and cord alignment

OBSERVED SHOWERS:_______________________________radiant position
GIA (Giacobinids)_________________________________17:28 (262) +54
TAU (North & South Taurids)_______________________01:44 (026) +14
SPO (sporadics)

OBSERVING PERIODS: 0 = none seen; / = shower not observed

PERIOD(UT)_____FIELD____Teff____F______LM____SPO_GIA_TAU

01:06-02:11___1944+77___1.00___1.00___6.03____4___1___0
02:11-03:11___2037+78___1.00___1.00___6.03____3___0___0
03:11-04:15___2122+77___1.06___1.00___6.22____7___0___3

TOTALS:_________________3.06_________________14___1___3  = 18

Note: The first column (Period UT) refers to observing periods broken
down as close as possible to one hour of true observing, in Universal
Time. The second column (Field) is the area in in the sky where I
centered my field of view. The third column (TEFF) represents
effective observing time (corrected for breaks or any time not spent
looking at the sky). The column (LM) is the average naked eye
limiting magnitude, determined by triangle star counts. All following
columns indicate the number of meteors for each shower observed.
------------------------

MAGNITUDE DISTRIBUTIONS:

SHOWER
_____-2__-1___0__+1__+2__+3__+4__+5______AVE

SPO___0___0___1___1___2___3___5___2_____+3.14
TAU___0___0___0___1___1___1___0___0_____+2.00
GIA___1___0___0___0___0___0___0___0_____-2.00

Note: Magnitude -8 is comparable to a quarter moon, magnitude -4 with
the planet Venus, magnitude -1 with the brightest star Sirius,
magnitude +2 to +3 with most average naked eye stars and magnitude +6
to +7 are the faintest stars the naked eye can see under typical dark
conditions. A meteor of at least magnitude -3 is considered a
fireball. The above table contains the magnitudes from all observed
meteors, and the average (last column) for showers.

SKY OBSCURED (FOV) (UT): None

Dead time: 9.5 min  (time taken for breaks and plotting meteors)

Breaks (UT): 2:08-09, 3:39 (30 sec)