(meteorobs) TSE of July 22 to impact Stellafane

Skywayinc at aol.com Skywayinc at aol.com
Sat Oct 18 22:39:19 EDT 2008

For those who regularly attend the annual Stellafane  conference at Breezy
Hill, Vermont,
it appears that next year's total solar eclipse of July  22 has forced the
Springfield
Telescope Makers to make an unusual scheduling  decision.  See the
announcement below.

-- joe r.

Dear Friends of Stellafane,

The 2009 Annual  Stellafane Convention will be held on Breezy Hill from
August 13-16. Because  this represents a departure from our usual pattern, an
explanation is in  order. The July Solar Eclipse will be well attended,
forcing many to make a  difficult choice. We want to make it possible for our
friends to attend both  events! Other dates in July were inauspicious. The
next new moon on August  20th conflicts with early school openings and the
weather often turns brisk.  More importantly, it coincides with Agricultural
Fairs so food vendors are  unavailable. The Springfield Telescope Makers
recognize that the rising of the waning crescent will impact deep  sky
observing after midnight. We hope that our loyal  Stellafane attendees will
understand the unusual circumstances that have  forced this compromise.

Sincerely,
John Gallagher
President,  Springfield Telescope Makers