(meteorobs) Taurid swarm encounter this year? Another shower of brilliant fireballs?

Jure Atanackov jureatanackov at email.si
Wed Oct 22 17:35:30 EDT 2008

As the final week of October nears I'm wondering whether the Taurids might put
on another impressive show with enhanced rates and many brilliant fireballs.
2005 was exceptional with so many bright fireballs that they even made their
way into news media. Most articles regarding the Taurids list this year as a
swarm encounter year, like 2005. While we catch more or less the end part of
the swarm this year, as opposed to the more central encounter in 2005, from
what I've been able to gather from various articles the meteoroid density is
more or less uniform in the swarm (along a 60 degree stretch in mean anomaly).
So, are we in for another bombardment by brilliant Taurids?
Clear skies!
Jure
P.S. - yes, I know, we'll see soon :)