(meteorobs) October 22-23: Orionids on their way back...

Pierre Martin dob14.5 at sympatico.ca
Thu Oct 23 08:00:19 EDT 2008

Hello Koen and all,

Here, I was able to cover the period 6-10 UT this morning under good
skies (mag about 6.3).  Quite an enjoyable night.  My quick
impression is that the Orionids were slightly enhanced in rates, and
with a number of bright ones (up to mag -2).  But there sure was lots
of Orionids at mag +4 and +5.  The faint meteors continued to be seen
even after the Moon was well up :)  Rates seemed down towards dawn.

The Leo Minorids made an appearance, and I think one of my cameras
captured at least one of the bright ones... and possibly even two!

Taurids were also particularly active, but no fireballs.

This is also just a rough impression, and I need to listen to my tape
recorder.  But first, I need to catch up on badly needed sleep.
Tomorrow morning is forecast to be the last clear morning we get here
before clouds take over for a few days.

Pierre Martin
Ottawa, Ontario