(meteorobs) Missed Opportunity

Bill Godley wwgj180 at yahoo.com
Thu Oct 23 15:18:52 EDT 2008

My routine is to sleep in the guest bedroom lest I disturb anybody and use my cell phone alarm to alert me "time to hunt meteors".  On this particular night (being last night), our 2-yr old awoke at 12:30 and needed to be settled back to sleep.  No problem - she was back asleep in 10 minutes.  I then thought "why not just go out now?"  Another part of my brain complained "the radiant is too low right now and besides, you need sleep."

Good sense did not prevail.

Instead of getting up, I drifted back to sleep, knowing that at 2:15 am I would be awakened by my trusty phone, refreshed and ready to go.  Unfortunately, the phone hadn't bought-into my plan.  When I actually woke up, it was not to a cell phone alarm but to my daughter wanting to watch "The Wiggles" at 6:30.  I had slept through the phone alarm (or it never went off - still investigating) and missed a post cold-front, crisp, clear night of Orionid watching.  Dagnabit!  I am sure that I missed an unforseen, post-peak ORI outburst that included several color fireballs and half-minute trains.

Anybody else miss a good observing opportunity (past or present) for no good reason?  Misery loves company.

Bill :(
NE Oklahoma