(meteorobs) 2008 Orionids

Chris Peterson clp at alumni.caltech.edu
Fri Oct 24 19:52:55 EDT 2008

A couple of old installations still have PC23C cameras with hemi mirrors,
but nearly all the setups are PC164C based.

I don't have direct experience with the 710E/C. However, it uses the same
sort of Sony Ex-view HAD sensor that virtually all the high sensitivity
cameras use. I don't find a practical difference in sensitivity for meteor
work. For instance, I can run a PC164C (1/3") right next to a Watec 902H
(1/2") or 120N (at 30fps) and I get exactly the same results. Slowing the
frame integration time, however, does reduce sensitivity.

I'd like to run a Sentinel system right next to my other allsky camera. My
system seems more sensitive based on comparisons with Sentinel users meteor
counts, but I don't know what's really going on there. Of course, lower
sensitivity could also be related to the meteor detection process, and not
the actual camera sensitivity.

Chris

Chris L Peterson
Cloudbait Observatory