(meteorobs) 2008 Orionids

Chris Peterson clp at alumni.caltech.edu
Fri Oct 24 20:01:14 EDT 2008

Hi Ed-

Most internally integrating video cameras are on the pricey side. I find the
best meteor sensitivity at full video rates. With a Watec 120N, dropping
below 30fps brings out the stars better, but I miss dim meteors. So the only
reason to use a camera like this for meteor work is to collect an
astrometric reference along with a meteor detection. But you can actually do
that pretty well by just collecting a few seconds of ordinary video and
integrating them externally. Not as clean as internal integration, but
you'll get 50 stars or more, which is plenty for astrometric calibration.

In general, I don't think you can do better than a PC164C if you're okay
with a 1/3" sensor, otherwise a Watec 902HS. Both are pretty inexpensive.

BTW, I'd ignore the lux specs. They are pretty meaningless. The old PC23C is
only about a magnitude less sensitive to meteors than the PC164C, even
though its lux rating is something like 100 times lower. I've seen 0.1 lux
cameras that are more sensitive than 0.001 lux cameras.

Chris

Chris L Peterson
Cloudbait Observatory
http://www.cloudbait.com