(meteorobs) Ed Majden & other Sentinel users. -Star Enhancment

stange stange34 at sbcglobal.net
Mon Oct 27 00:48:48 EDT 2008

Hello Ed & Sentinel Group.

I have been pondering your long exposure shutter problem looking for a
solution that would not cause a degradation in fireball capture definition &
contrast yet bring out the background stars better.

I believe there are two solutions that would not cause excessive cost.
Neither solution requires a camera modification (which would be difficult
without a proprietary schematic diagram for the camera anyway).

Solution 1.
I have e-mailed Joseph as to whether we can write a change in Python
allowing us to select & increase the number of frames stacked in the event
"a" file after an event. I expect this will increase the reset & arming time
which would necessitate consideration of an individuals particular dark sky
site. i.e., the least amount of stacking which will get the job done. If I
get an answer... I will post it.

Solution 2.
The supplementary system Handyavi allows up to 250 frames to be captured
after an event. This is the "post frames" setting. I ran a quick test
tonight, setting post frames to 90,(3 seconds). After using avi2bmp, and
registax software, star images were dramatically improved along with any
other ambient light. This method does require more computer experience in
software and is something of a pain.....except when a BIG event takes place.

For whatever it is worth..... YCSentinel