(meteorobs) OT - Head torches

Leo S l.stachowicz at btinternet.com
Mon Oct 27 17:51:51 EDT 2008

I've been after a good one for some time now, and I think I've finally
found one that's worthy of a recommendation. It arrived today, and after
trying it, I have to say, for the price, it's very very good!

http://www.amazon.co.uk/exec/obidos/ASIN/B000IX2IJA

First and foremost, it has a red LED that looks like it will be perfect
for meteor observing or operating cameras, and that can be switched on
without any fuss (there is a 3 or 4 stage toggle switch with off in the
center position, left for red and right for white). There are also dual
white LEDs that are more than bright enough to be useful for packing
away equipment etc. The beams from all LEDs are well collimated, and the
unit comes with an elastic head band that feels comfortable to wear,
unlike my old one which was rubber, and very uncomfortable!

It takes 3 AAA cells, and claims a battery life of 50 hours using the
alkalines they provide together with the unit. It's quite light
(injection molded plastic), but at the same time feels well enough built
to last unless subjected to extreme abuse.

My one (minor) gripe, is that the second position on the switch does not
work, so there is only one brightness setting for white when there
should be two, but that does not really bother me.

For £7.48 + £3.50 shipping, I think it's a bargain...

Clear Skies,
Leo