(meteorobs) OT - Head torches

sria at sria.com sria at sria.com
Tue Oct 28 00:55:35 EDT 2008

Quoting Leo S <l.stachowicz at btinternet.com>:

> I've been after a good one for some time now, and I think I've finally
> found one that's worthy of a recommendation. It arrived today, and after
> trying it, I have to say, for the price, it's very very good!
>
> http://www.amazon.co.uk/exec/obidos/ASIN/B000IX2IJA

As it happens, I recently bought the 6 LED version of this Energizer
brand light for USD15.00 at a Walmart. I'm very pleased with it,
although the pair of red LEDs are somewhat brighter than I would
prefer for meteor watching. The 3 LED version shown at the URL has a
single red LED and a pair of white LEDs configured as "flood lights."
At Walmart this one was priced at around USD12.50. I think it would be
a better choice for meteor watching than my 6 LED version.

In addition to the dual red LEDs, and the dual white "flood light"
LEDs the 6 LED version has an additional pair of white LEDs which are
nicely focused as "spot lights." The spot light white LEDs do a better
job of lighting a hiking trail than the flood light LEDs. Since my
headlamp is intended to also be used night hiking, I compromised on
the 6 LED version, but if the intended application is solely meteor
watching, I think the 3 LED version would a better choice.

I'm also experimenting with rechargeable NiMH batteries. I'm having
satisfactory results with my light using the new Duracell 1000 mAh AAA
cells. I had unsatisfactory results with 800 mAh AAA cells from a
couple of other manufacturers.

Now, if someone can recommend a talking clock which can be set to
automatically announce the time at selectable intervals ...

Richard