(meteorobs) Just witnessed a major fireball Oct 29, 2008 0128ut - Colorado

Thomas Ashcraft ashcraft at heliotown.com
Wed Oct 29 00:49:39 EDT 2008

Update :  I posted a preliminary report and video of the event. Due to
the vast distance from my location ( 300 miles or more ) the fireball is
unimpressive in my video but the camera did capture the full path and
the forward scatter audio on two radios is very beautiful. The
spectrograms are posted as well. The documents should produce a lot of
good data.

See:
http://www.heliotown.com/Fireballs_October_29_2008_Ashcraft.html

Of possible interest to all-sky camera operators:  My Sentinel system
happened to be triggering on twinkling Venus at the moment of the
fireball so the capture box missed the fireball path.  Yet, the fireball
does appear in a Sentinel still image.  But, since I split the video
camera signal into a full time video stream recorder ( iMac/iMovie) I
was still able to capture the full path of the fireball.  Splitting the
video signal into two separate recording methods is advantageous in
moments like this.

Of possible interest to radio meteor observers :  This fireball made
only a moderate intensity radio reflection commensurate to its
magnitude. Sometimes the very largest fireballs make only moderate radio
reflections. This is always interesting when this happens.

Hopefully there will be much more to report tomorrow.

Clear skies,
Thomas Ashcraft