(meteorobs) Large fireball frequency calculations - Needs updating

Roberto G. md6648 at mclink.it
Fri Oct 31 04:59:40 EDT 2008

From: "Thomas Ashcraft" <ashcraft at heliotown.com>

> For what it's worth :
>
> The fireball frequency calculations that are referred at
> http://www.spaceweather.com/glossary/frequentfireballs.htm?PHPSESSID=27ojbhs2oliu6kadsjaj0gbhd3
>
> seem to me to be way underestimated.
>
> "According to his calculations, fireballs as bright as Venus appear
> somewhere on Earth more than 100 times daily. Fireballs as bright as a
> quarter Moon occur once every ten days, and fireballs as bright as a
> full Moon once every five months."
>
> My own camera system has captured four -13 magnitude events in the past
> year.
>
> So with fresh data from the various all-sky fireball networks maybe
> these calculations can be updated to give a more accurate picture.
>
> Thomas Ashcraft
> New Mexico

This data are certainly not the real data, I read many year ago that
for Italy (1/2,000 of the Earth surface) should be around 100 Full Moon
events each years, but I not read more of 3-4-5 events saw each year,
the data on the graphic perharps are valid only for a locality
then "somewhere" should read as "from your site".
Best greetings.
Roberto Gorelli