(meteorobs) Large fireball frequency calculations - Needs updating

J.L. Brower jbrower at meteorchaser.net
Fri Oct 31 10:24:05 EDT 2008

Hi Larry,

I asked Joe Chavez about the amplitude data in the .txt output file
after I caught several fireball events.

Chavez and Spaulding informed me for the Sentinel III camera system
you can move the camera during a full moon and record the response as
you suggested. Then do the following:

If the amplitude response of the full moon to be XM, you can calculate
the magnitude of any event of amplitude X with following formula:

   Magnitude = -12.7 – 2.5 * log10( X / XM )

This assumes that the magnitude of the full moon is –12.7

I hope this helps.

Jeff