(meteorobs) Meteor obs near Viking, AB -- 2008 Aug 27-28

Bruce McCurdy bmccurdy at telusplanet.net
Fri Sep 5 04:51:08 EDT 2008

    Got a surprise phone call last Wednesday evening from Alister, who on
the heels of our recent success with 111 Ate was going on a road trip to try
and observe two possible late-night asteroid occultations. Never one to turn
down an adventure, I agreed with alacrity to join him for the overnight
drive, hoping maybe to bag a few Alpha Aurigids and perhaps an onscreen
observation of an asteroid event. Leaving Edmonton about 23:30 for a
~90-minute drive, we had by far our best observation while en route. At
00:34 MDT (06:34 UT) a bright fireball seared the sky from the top (tinted
portion) of the front windshield and down before suddenly exploding in a
brilliant flash. Alister thought it was lightning but I had seen the path of
the meteor before the explosion point, which we estimated as magnitude -8
or -9. There was no persistent train whatsoever, it was just gone after the
flash which gave the impression of being soaked up by light foreground
cloud. I kept an eye on the lone star near where it exploded for a few km,
and when we turned I asked Alister to stop so I could identify it. Given the
larger context of the sky I was able to confirm that it was beta Ceti, and
that there were a few clouds in the vicinity. Never did hear of any other
fireball reports so it's irrelevant now.

    While we were stopped I kept looking of course and saw a superb Aurigid
sear the sky overhead, a blazing beauty of magnitude -2 with a one-second
persistent train. "I'm not counting it, but that's probably the best one
I'll see tonight" I said to Alister, and indeed it was the best Aurigid I
saw in TWO subsequent sessions. A couple minutes later I caught a faint
Kappa Cygnid, while Alister spotted a couple meteors I missed. The rate
seemed too good to be true, and it was.

    Finding a spot within the predicted limits of the occultation path just
after 1 a.m., we set up for a couple hours of observing before the first of
the asteroid events: Alister on his variable stars and I with my meteors.
Skies were excellent for an hour or so before clouds began to scud in. By
2:30 they were thick enough that I decided to take a power nap which wound
up lasting right through both (clouded out) asteroid events. So in the end I
only got 80 minutes Teff and just 8 official meteors. Only one is worthy of
comment, an ivory flash of -3 which I adjudged to be a sporadic, but which
subsequent discussion on the MeteorObs list has me suspecting to have been
an early September Perseid.

    Despite less than full satisfaction it was nonetheless a worthwhile
trip, with five meteors of at least the zeroeth magnitude observed if not
formally counted, and my brightest fireball in at least two years seen
Pierre Martin-style through the windscreen. A wide-ranging discussion with
Alister, some excellent tunes, and the kilometres just melted away.

    Bruce
    *****

Observer: Bruce McCurdy, MCCBR