(meteorobs) A flash seen in a video wide field

Denis Denisenko denis at hea.iki.rssi.ru
Sun Sep 7 14:50:48 EDT 2008

Hello folks,

Please keep on monitoring the Taurus-Auriga-Perseus region, 'cause at
any moment you can catch a superoutburst from the new soft gamma
repeater SGR 0501+4516!  It's coordinates are (J2000.0) 05 01 06.8 +45
16 35, approximately 2.8 deg West of Capella and 1.5 deg North of
epsilon Aurigae.  There are speculations that this source can be as
bright as -12m for a few seconds during the giant flare.  It may occur
in November or any time earlier or later.

The flash recorded by Francisco was definitely not related to this
source.  There were also no gamma-ray bursts detected on Sep. 02.  They
can also provide flashes brigher than 6m, as it was on Mar. 19 this year
(GRB 080319B), so you always have a chance to catch an even brighter
optical transient, if the bright burst occurs close enough.

This one most likely was caused by a flashing satellite.  By the way,
Fransisco: the time on video is 06:00:05 - 06:00:07 (digits are so small
it's hard to read them off the screen) - I think it is your local time.
It is desirable to provide your time difference with UT so that people
from other countries would easily convert it to the common standard (and
to their local time, too)!

Best regards,

Denis in Moscow (UT+0400) ;-)