(meteorobs) September Perseids

Bruce McCurdy bmccurdy at telusplanet.net
Tue Sep 9 20:57:49 EDT 2008

    The indefatigable Paul Martsching wrote:

> The September Perseids were unusually active this morning.  Nothing
> unusual the
> first two hours (I began about 3/4 hour before Moon set), but then
> activity
> really picked up.  Many negative magnitude September Perseids.  Nearly
> all,
> including some +4 meteors, left at least a brief train.  The highlight of
> the
> morning was a mag. -8 fireball which left a train lasting 45 seconds.
> Detailed
> report later.

    Congratulations Paul on this observation. Your rather understated
"unusually active" is what  http://spaceweather.com/ calls a "Fireball
Outburst!!"

    By my count you put in 25.75 hours of Teff in four nights at the Iowa
Star Party with meteors gracing the skies at the stately rate of one every
eight minutes for the entire time. That's dedication, and every once in a
while dedication pays off.  I can't think of anyone who is either more
likely, or more deserving, of being under a dark sky when the unexpected
happens.

> I must attempt to take a short nap before going to work this morning.

    You sleep, too? Where do you find the time?

    Bruce
    *****