(meteorobs) Chris(Cloudbait) Meteor Telescope?

Chris Peterson clp at alumni.caltech.edu
Thu Sep 11 20:43:14 EDT 2008

Not that I know of. This would be extraordinarily difficult, as the
statistics are against you. The narrower your field, the less likely you are
to get a bright meteor. And you would need a bright meteor, as well as a
specialized, high speed video camera.

There are tracking meteor cameras, but AFAIK none operate at a long enough
focal length to get a high resolution image of the head of the meteor.

Last year, the Subaru telescope in Hawaii captured some meteor trails,
allowing for detailed analysis. I don't recall if they analyzed out-of-focus
images, or actually reset the focus for the upper atmosphere. But in any
case, these weren't stop-action images.

Chris

Chris L Peterson
Cloudbait Observatory