(meteorobs) Chris(Cloudbait) Meteor Telescope?

Chris Peterson clp at alumni.caltech.edu
Thu Sep 11 23:43:55 EDT 2008

Sorry, Larry, it's not going to work. You need a much more sensitive camera
(probably with an image intensifier), and you need that camera to be very
high speed, hundreds or thousands of frames per second. A larger aperture
scope would help as well.

Consider: with your 560mm FL scope, and a typical camera with 5um pixels,
your image scale is 2.2"/pixel. For a meteor distance of 100km, that gives a
spatial image scale of 1 meter per pixel. The next big shower is the
Geminids, which are very slow at 35 km/s. So in a single video frame of 1/30
sec, the meteor moves over 1000 meters, or over 1000 pixels on your camera.
Of course, the apparent speed is likely to be less since the path won't
usually be perfectly perpendicular to your optical axis, but any meteor is
still going to be massively motion blurred. You will learn more about the
meteor with a wide angle lens, where at least you have largely frozen each
frame.

Chris

Chris L Peterson
Cloudbait Observatory