(meteorobs) O.T. -Interpreting Sentinels Exposure files(a).

stange stange34 at sbcglobal.net
Thu Sep 25 02:18:33 EDT 2008

I asked J.Chavez about the exposure files in Sentinel Python24 which I could
not descerne the purpose of, and had previously thought they were supposed
to be a composite of the meteor travel which was not working correctly. What
he has told me, and I checked it out, is:

1. When Sentinel takes a meteor capture pictures, we see it as a short movie
as it looked traveling across the sky when we use the arrow keys or replay
key.

2. If we use the composite key each time after playing or replaying a
capture we get a composite of a different sort. It is a composite or frame
stacking of the meteors travel. This is not a saved file unless we choose to
save it.

To the point:

3. We can get a 10 stack of frames to create an enhanced star field anytime
when we select "stack images" in the "Test column". But that does us little
good for seeing the background stars during the time of the meteor.

4. What Sentinel does, is when a meteor is detected, it creates the (v) data
& Text files in the "Events" folder, but it also goes further and creates a
10 frame stack of the star field at the time of the meteor. That is what the
(a) files are in the "Exposures" folder. These are 10 co-added frames
stacked into a single image. And sometimes called composites too which can
confuse the two.....distinct operations of Sentinel.

If you already knew all of this, my apologies. -YCSentinel