(meteorobs) A real Earth-grazer

Esko Lyytinen esko.lyytinen at jippii.fi
Thu Sep 25 13:57:29 EDT 2008

Hi,

How the angular velocity would change during the flight would in
principle tell this. So, a single photograph is not enough for this, but
a video is, if this can be measured well enough and if the observed arc
is long enough. This typically is long for any level grazers.
If an individual photograph would show individual frames as detectable,
then it could be measured with mutual timing data.
We in the Finnish fireball group, if not capturing video, make besides a
normal "sum-image" also an image with every third or every fifth frame
only recorded. These can typically be masured individually, if not then
it probably was a slow moving satellite flash ;)

So, if there is a long enough capturing arc, with accurate enough
astrometric positions and mutual timings for these available, then this
is possible. My own Excel sheet model is capable of solving this.
In this Earth-grazer case I first got the single station data from Jari
Tuukkonen and derived the flight direction (with assumed velocity of
15km/s) . I got to know that this had the lowest point around the
observation and then started to escape into space.
After I got the observations of Timo Kantola also, then the actual
velocity and height could be derived, but the direction of the flight
did fit to the one station-only derivation within about half a degree.
Because the possible deceleration (by the atmospheric "drag") also
affects the angular velocity change, this might make the one station
result less reliable, depending on the case, but in this case, the
escape was almost certain from one station data only.

The model has for example flattened (oblate spheroid) Earth, for
accurate multiple station results. And there is a direct fit into the
observations. Actually I have made NOT a bit of coding for the solving.
The Excel solver ("Add-Inn") can do the job of solving this to find (in
essense) the least squares fit to the observations. The same model can
be used for one station data or multible station data.
In principle this Excel sheet would be available, but there are no
instructions written on this, at least yet. This is not a program for
fixed form input and to get the output. One has to put the observations
into lines at correct cells and do the mutual linking timings into the
cells for example. So a relatively good understanding of the principles
will be needed. Because the solving method (by Excel solver) is only
iterative, it may need some reasonable start values and/or some manual
"help" to get into it (might start to converge into some unreasonable
solution), but with some experience this seems to be no problem.

Esko