(meteorobs) Meteor Activity Outlook for September 27-October 3, 2008

Chris Peterson clp at alumni.caltech.edu
Mon Sep 29 11:01:26 EDT 2008

I'm not aware of any case where a meteor was tracked by aviation radar.
They're generally way too high.

When you see a fireball that explodes or fizzles out more or less overhead,
that's the time to consider nearby meteorites. When you see a low-angle
meteor, where it disappears behind the local horizon (including buildings),
it's likely that any meteorites are hundreds of kilometers away. That's
because the lowest a meteor is likely to burn is perhaps 15km high, and most
often its much higher than that. Simple math: large height and small angle
equals long distance.

Chris

Chris L Peterson
Cloudbait Observatory