(meteorobs) Meteor Receiver -Julian

stange stange34 at sbcglobal.net
Mon Apr 6 03:47:29 EDT 2009

I believe the very few researchers attempting to detect meteor signals are
most likely trying different audio circuit input configurations looking for
a direction which might start registering low level signals whether meteor
induced or not as a first step.

If that is true then a good starting point would be to add a controlled high
gain circuit ahead of the computer audio board (IF) it has very low thermal
noise. The advantages are,  Filtering out, or rejecting unwanted pickup,
Signal to noise Gain, & Impedance matching.

This would allow you to place the amplifier at the antenna's location and
enable remoting the output to the computers location to help eliminate
spurious pickup which may be coming from the computer or the monitor.  More
gain is likely needed than what the audio board can provide and would not be
harmful unless it has intrinsic noise which could mask weak signal pickup.

IMHO -I believe most would be reluctant this early in the research to
suggest how you should connect up your antenna or your amplifier to the
audio card until they have more evidence that signals are being detected
with their own circuit configuration which cannot be accounted for from
man-made noise sources.

YCSentinel