(meteorobs) OT -13 sq.ft. Electrostatic/ElectrophonicSensoronline.

Mark Ford mark.ford at ssl.gb.com
Wed Apr 15 05:22:00 EDT 2009

Hi Larry,

Thanks for the link, interesting set up you have. I played with a much
simpler/smaller setup a while back (using an AD549 op-amp), mainly I was
just looking at the charges on clouds, I managed to detect a slight
increase when rain clouds came over, but I never had time to refine the
design. As I am sure you know even seeing reliable cloud charges is no
mean feat, as you have to contend with the dreaded leakage/moisture and
even worse the mechanical charges caused by the wind. (Usually I design
radiation detectors which luckily don't live outside!)

I am not very familiar with any potential charge changes caused
in/directly from meteor ionization so can't comment on that, but I
assumed they would be much too subtle to detect (as air movement would
quickly dissipate any ions that are produced?), but it's good you are
looking at this as a potential avenue.

Best,
Mark