(meteorobs) Question to Cloudbait Observatory.

Chris Peterson clp at alumni.caltech.edu
Sun Apr 19 02:22:30 EDT 2009

I know of no way to make such an estimate from a single station still image
alone. It is possible if you are looking at a member of a known shower, and
can start with a true radiant and velocity. But where you know neither,
there are (literally) an infinite number of possibilities. The meteor in
your image could have been traveling nearly straight towards your camera, or
could have been nearly perpendicular to the camera's line of sight.

It is possible using the individual frames to construct a deceleration
profile, which can narrow the possibilities somewhat, but for the most part,
any serious analysis of a sporadic meteor requires data from at least two
stations.

Chris

Chris L Peterson
Cloudbait Observatory