(meteorobs) Nice fireball but no ELF/VLF radio emission noted

Thomas Ashcraft ashcraft at heliotown.com
Wed Apr 22 12:58:04 EDT 2009

(Note : Radio spectrum ELF/VLF means "extremely low frequency" and VLF
means "very low frequency")

April 22, 2009

I have shifted my primary radio meteor practice to nightly ELF/VLF
reception along with all sky video in the hope of capturing some sort of
direct emission from a meteor. I am also still recording VHF forward
scatter until the TV transmitters end analog broadcast on June 12.

Last night was my first significant fireball since February and I posted
movies with radio reception at:
http://www.heliotown.com/Fireballs_April_22_2009.html

For this particular fireball I can discern no obvious ELF/VLF radio
emission that sets itself apart from the background sferics.  It did
produce good VHF forward scatter though.

Also, this fireball was not a Lyrid.  I haven't processed the night's
Lyrids as yet.

Clear skies,
Thomas Ashcraft
Radio Fireball Observatory