(meteorobs) Significant fireball April 26, 2009, 0604 UT - New Mexico

Thomas Ashcraft ashcraft at heliotown.com
Sun Apr 26 11:44:02 EDT 2009

There was a  significant fireball last night in the vicinity of Gallup,
New Mexico, possibly into eastern Arizona. It was at the edge of my
all-sky camera field of view but made a terminal flash possibly full
Moon magnitude or brighter.  I hope to hear further reports.

I posted some movies with two types of radio reception at the time of
the meteor. One is 61.250 MHz forward scatter which produced a good
radio reflection. The other movie is ELF/VLF reception. It is *not
*conclusive but there is an interesting enhancement of noise at a
mid-flare point of the meteor ( 3 seconds into the movie). There does
not appear to be any noise enhancement at the final large terminal burst
however.  Hence, this specimen fireball becomes another possible ELF/VLF
reception but due to dense coincident sferics it is not absolutely
provable.  I am still waiting for a big one directly overhead.

http://www.heliotown.com/Fireball_April_26_2009_Ash.html

Thomas Ashcraft
Radio Fireball Observatory
www.heliotown.com