(meteorobs) viewing in North NJ

orink at t6b.com orink at t6b.com
Fri Aug 7 12:03:46 EDT 2009

Hi from near Chicago

  I don't know your state's and surrounding states' local city skyline halo effects but I have found Lake Michigan shorelines to be useful since I am then looking east across 30 miles of dark lake toward Michigan. Would your seashores give you a view that isn't too badly affected by New York city, etc? On Google, the Long Beach or Long Branch - Point Pleasant shorelines looks interesting. What about west toward Oak Ridge - Stockholm?

The high walls of a Quarry can also be useful in cutting the effect of nearby large city lights on your observation location's overhead sky.

Have you checked with a New Jersey or Philadelphia based Astronomy Club?

Orin Keplinger
near Chicago