(meteorobs) Early European General Perseid Observation 11/12 Aug

Leo S l.stachowicz at btinternet.com
Wed Aug 12 01:41:54 EDT 2009

The UK is positioned perfectly this year... to miss both peaks!

 From the IMO:

PERSEIDS (PER)

2009-07-14 to 2009-08-24

Peaks 2009-08-12 ~05h00 UT ZHR <10?

                 ~09h00 UT ZHR ~10-100 (c.1610 trail)

                 ~17h30-20h00 UT ZHR 100 (Main peak)

I just got in from a disappointing night's observing. I drove out of
London to just outside Basingstoke, where I found a field that had good
clear horizons to set up my cameras. Whilst setting up, a white pickup
with "security" in big letters on the side pulled up, and the guy at the
wheel looked at me, started shaking his head, and beaconed me to come over.

When I walked round to his window, he said "This is private property.
You can't stop here!". So I explained to him what I was doing, and the
instant I said "Perseids", he became much more agreeable. He told me
that "they usually watch from that ridge over there", pointing his
finger in the direction of a farm house which was at the top of the
field I was in, and to tell anyone asking what I was doing here "Dave
said it was OK".

After Dave drove off I finished setting up, and settled down in my
sleeping bag just as the light was fading. I saw my first Perseid after
about half an hour, once the sky was a little darker. Only a short 0
mag. close to the radiant, but it it was soon followed by a beautiful -3
Perseid semi-grazer (the radiant was already well above the horizon)
that shot upwards from the radiant, and not long after that a nice -4
fireball semi-grazer that was perhaps 20 degrees in length.

The sky was very clear, and I was thinking this is looking very
promising! Then I caught another Perseid fireball out of the corner of
my eye, a very nice -6 very close to the radiant that left a 1-2 second
train. It was about 2300 UT, and I'd only been observing for an hour or
so, and after that little volley of bright Perseids, it was all downhill
after that. I only saw faint Perseids, and not very many.

By about 0100 I was starting to feel a bit worse for wear, but I stuck
it out for another hour or so before I finally gave in and packed up.
Total Perseids for the night was only 22, although I probably missed a
few whilst tending to cameras. On the plus side, I think I caught at
least one of the two "semi-grazers" at the start of the night. Will try
to post any I've captured in the next day or two. I had 4 cameras
running, so theres allot to go through!

Interesting to note that all Perseids appeared white to me, although
there may have been a subtle hint of green in some of them.

Hope you and everyone else caught a few. I think much of the UK (here in
the S/E anyway) will cloud out tonight, so I'll be staying in and
looking through last nights shots.

Clear skies!
Leo