(meteorobs) Perseids SLOW eve from KC, MO area b-4 moonrise

Bertunit at aol.com Bertunit at aol.com
Wed Aug 12 02:02:39 EDT 2009

AUGUST 11/12 0918-1118 CST, 0218-0418 UT August 12th.  6 miles  SE of Lone
Jack MO, N 38.5 lat.
Sparse or paltry, take your pick, on the first two hours after dark from SE
 of Lone Jack, MO at
a dark sky site I have now been using for 2+ years.

4 meteors 918-1018  1 Perseid a +1 beauty of 30+ degrees w/2 sec.  train, 1
-2 Kappa Cygnid that was my 4 year old daughter's first ever meteor  also
seen by me and my dad (3 generations of my family!),  one +3 sporadic,  a the
best meteor of the night a slow graceful blue nebulous Alpha Cap. E out of
Aquarius, that my Dad (77) also saw.

Facing NNE at 65 degrees central FOV, entire time.  ZS went from 5.8  to
6.15 that hour w no breaks.

I do not know of a SLOWER first hour after dark ever in over 30 years  of
observing for me on this particular nite in August.

2nd hr. had 10 meteors -  6 Perseids spread widely thruout the hr. w  long
gaps. 2 +1, 2 +2, 1 +3,
1 +5.  4 had trains, incl. the +3.  Also had a +5 well seen Kappa  Cyg.,
And 3 +3 sporadics incl. 2 slower ones originating far in the NW.

Facing NE at 60 degrees, ZS from 6.15 down to 5.7 at 1118pm w the moon. No
breaks.

While better, not a Perseid over +1 in 2 hours on  maximum evening, and 8
total Perseids by me
ranks this show at least early in the evening as below  average.