(meteorobs) Perseids from Dallas area - not so good

Pat Branch pat_branch at yahoo.com
Wed Aug 12 08:54:33 EDT 2009

Well there was thin clouds over about 50% of the area most of the time, you could see stars thru them at least. LM was around 3-4 I would guess since I could see beta and delta in Ursa Major easily, even thru clouds. Dark area in the country so much better LM in the unclouded areas. At least most of the time the center of the sky was clear. Location was Lake Bridgeport TX 33 13.438N 97 52.827W observing from 10pm to 1am CDT. Times below are in UT.

3:00-3:15 2 PER 1 SPO
3:15-3:30 1 PER Long N-S earth grazer, great one
3:30-3:45 0 About 80% cloud cover and some lost time due to ranger coming by
3:45-4:00 1 PER
4:00-4:15 1 PER
4:15-4:30 2 PER
4:30-4:45 4 PER 1 was great (long fragmenting) moon rising but behind clouds so not a factor
4:45-5:00 4 PER
5:00-5:15 2 PER
5:15-5:30 3 PER 1 SPO
5:30-5:45 0 moon rising above clouds and becoming a factor
5:45-6:00 1 PER

So no 5h UT outbreak as some predictions said...unless you count the 11:45 time frame - those 8 did come clustered in a 12 minute period close to 4:45 UT.
I did not stick around for the 4am (9 UT) predicted peak.