(meteorobs) PERSEIDS from Northern Virginia (Outskirts of Gainesville)

suejam1 at juno.com suejam1 at juno.com
Wed Aug 12 09:55:37 EDT 2009

Even though it did not look very promising with the forecast and perpetual cloud cover, there was a sufficient "hole" in the cloud cover, centered on the "Summer Triangle" to observe for about one hour (0408 - 0508 UT or 0008-0108 EDT).  In that time frame, I observed nine Perseids and one Kappa Cygnid.  The brightest Perseid that I observed was a golden -1 that left a two second train.  Surprisingly, even though the moon had already risen in the East, it was mostly under cloud cover, allowing for a limiting magnitude of 5.5 in the "sucker hole" that was slightly larger than the area of the whole Summer Triangle.  However, by 0115 EDT, the cloud cover enveloped the sky again, including the Summer Triangle to the point that Vega, Deneb and Altair were barely visible.  At least I was able to see a few really nice Perseids!
Right now is a very challenging time for my Family and I, as we are in the midst of a transition from Norfolk to Stafford, Virginia.  We hope to be more "settled," sometime before 05 September as the School Year begins here on 08 September.  The magnitude and comments for the meteors seen are as follows:
  Kappa Cygnid    0.0  Yellow-Orange                                                                Perseid         2.0              1/2 sec train
  Perseid                -1   Golden Yellow with a two-second Train                           Perseid         3.0
  Perseid                0.0  Yellow with a one-second train                                        Perseid          2.0
  Perseid                3.0                                                                                         Perseid          4.0
  Perseid                1.0   Yellow with a one-second train                                       Perseid          0.0              Yellow (seen partially in cloud cover)
For the "follow-up" night to the Perseid maximum, it does not look promising here in the Northern Virginia area.  There is a "cool" front that is "sitting" mostly on top of us and will likely not work its way very far south of here.  Thus, the weather will likely be a bit "unsettled" for the next day or two.  Hope that many of You are indeed having clearer skies and better observations for the Perseids!
In Astronomical Affinity - Felix A. Martinez