(meteorobs) Perseids first impressions from Oregon

Wes Stone howard048 at centurytel.net
Wed Aug 12 13:06:00 EDT 2009

I observed from 8:00-10:45 UT on August 12th, with some casual observing beginning at 7:30 UT. A stubborn little cloud front poked its way down into my neck of the woods and took its sweet time to roll through. Skies were best in the NW, which is my worst horizon for tree obstructions. My FOV was 60% obstructed at 8:00, decreasing to 10-15% by the end of the watch. Unfortunately, the clearing of most of the clouds by around 8:30 coincided with a major letdown in Perseid activity, or at least it felt that way. My casual impression is that there was a significant enhancement in Perseid rates between about 7:50 and 8:25 UT. There was certainly decent Perseid activity in spurts after that time, with fireballs of -4 and -5.

Skies were exceptional in the clear spots; limiting magnitude high in the west at my field center was 6.2-6.5. The Milky Way was prominent from Cassiopeia through Aquila. The Moon was hidden by clouds for much of the observation; later, it became more of a problem.

Due to my work schedule, a better report will wait until tomorrow (hopefully after another night of observing with fewer cloud challenges).

Wes Stone
Chiloquin, OR

--
So he slept on a mountain.