(meteorobs) Perseids Still Strong

Skywayinc at aol.com Skywayinc at aol.com
Thu Aug 13 10:35:17 EDT 2009

In a message dated 8/13/2009 9:46:28 A.M. Eastern Daylight Time,
Bertunit at aol.com writes:

Perseids made up for their POOR Aug 11/12 showing last nite.
Rates  for me were TRIPLE the previous night. Report to follow, 3 full
hours.

These results should not be too surprising considering the path Earth took
through the
Perseid swarm last night as depicted by Jeremie Vaubaillion's plot.

See:
_http://www.imcce.fr/en/ephemerides/phenomenes/meteor/DATABASE/Perseids/BIN-tout/Noeuds-Earth2009.jpg_
(http://www.imcce.fr/en/ephemerides/phenomenes/meteor/DATABASE/Perseids/BIN-tout/Noeuds-Earth2009.jpg)

As you can see, around 6h UT on August 13, Earth apparently passed through
a small, concentrated "knot" of activity.  I had sent several messages to
Jeremie in the weeks leading up to this year's shower inquiring about that
particular region of dust and asked him to what type of activity this might
provide . . . but he never responded to any of my inquiries.

In my Perseid article for SPACE.com, I had written:
"Vaubaillon's simulation clearly shows Earth  encountering significant
meteor activity from about 0 hours UT on Aug. 12  through about 6 hours UT on
Aug. 13, possibly suggesting better than average  Perseid activity worldwide
for both the late-night hours of Aug. 11 and Aug. 12,  local times."

So it appears, that the activity at around 6h UT  on 8/13 indeed led to
some intense activity.
And of course . . . it rained hydro-meteors last  night over my house!
:(

-- joe rao