(meteorobs) Perseid Report August 13 - 2009

Catlin cat at catlin.force9.co.uk
Thu Aug 13 11:53:25 EDT 2009

Perseid Report August 13, 2009

0140 U to 0340 U
Leeds (pop 700,000) England 53.5 o

Weather - thin cloud to progressively crystal clear conditions
Waning Moon

As I looked out of my back bedroom in a north-easterly direction at
1330U, the moon was bright with an orange tint and the visible stars
veiled in thin, high cloud. Some said we would miss both peaks this year
and as visibility was only slightly above average I went back to bed and
thought I'll give it a miss. Two minutes later and with the knowledge I
did not have to rise for work, I reasoned to look out of the window
again for say 10 mins and if nothing was forthcoming I'd really quit
this time.

Within three mins I saw a mere glint of a rapid fireball emerge from the
Camelopardalis direction - it was enough to spark me into donning
shorts, t shirt, dressing gown, slippers and jacket. I plucked out a
garden type director's chair, two blankets and quickly made a large tea
and grabbed a choc digestive.

I settled in the garden under the huge buddleia bush - fireflies and
mosquitoes were two things that happily in this locality only survive in
very small numbers; my hazards are usually light pollution and
hedgehogs. Are we meteors gazers mad? Not this one - my warming cup of
hot tea was a wise move as, despite this being British Summer Time, it
was a cold 10oC or 52oF in old money. I had been out in my dressing gown
in November at  -5oC before, but this morning somehow seemed colder.

Moths tried to fly in a straight path in order to tick me into thinking
that I'd seen my first Persied of the season, one actually managed it. A
bee buzzed by and my thoughts turned to fellow meterobs subscriber Karl
in Provence, France - hoping he had not become too excited and disturbed
the bee-hive he had stumbled upon yesterday. I bet he was not as cold as
I was quickly becoming. A small hedgehog at the bottom of the garden 40
feet away took on an appearance of a large rat - only my paranoia. I
shuffled and set off my security light and noticed that next door's
security light was timed to switch on every 45mins to last for 5 mins.

I started to will the show on and after 5 mins a decent sized Perseid
appeared, quickly followed by another within a further 2 mins. Now this
may sound strange to some, but I had thought if 4 Perseids appeared
within the first hour, then my observation stint would become
worthwhile. A very modest expectation for most, but being only 6 miles
from the city centre the huge light pollution problem that arises often
severely stunts the ZHR.

Normally during observation I imagine a sound accompanying a meteor -
this began to occur again whoosh like and I was willing the Perseids to
appear. Between 0200 U and 0230 U several more had danced through the
sky - my count was up to ten - although two of these emerged from
Camelopardis and two others from Cassiopeia. The night was proving to be
worthwhile as also at 0200 U I saw a satellite pass from a south-west to
north east direction now heading towards Denmark.
Could anyone confirm this? Exactly one hour later the same thing
happened again with the satellite following approx the same path.

At 0250 U, I decided to take a break for more tea and clothing,
including thick 'Christmas socks', as I was beginning to realize how
Scott felt in the Antarctic. I had also forgotten in my hasty excitement
to put on any undergarments. My total now was a massive 13 - over three
times my initial expectation.

When I returned much warmer both security lights had triggered - I
thought as I shielded my eyes would it not be great if I managed to see
a Perseid before the lights turned off again. Sure enough it happened.
Result. My well deserved cup of  tea was going down like the Titanic and
I had also allowed a choc marshmallow to be consumed in one bite.

Venus, even brighter than the local police helicopter, made a
spectacular appearance in the north-east and light blue skies appeared
as dawn steadily approached. In my second session the count crept up by
another six and the final total was 19. = 12 Persieds 7 sporadics. This
had been my third best night of observation since the unforgettable
Leonids in 1998 (my first meteors).

Swift-Tuttle - Parent Comet of the Persied Meteors

How vast is creation! I see the planets rise and the stars hurry by,
carried along with their light! What, then, is this hand which propels
them? The sky broadens the more I ascend. Worlds revolve around me. And
I am the centre of this restless creation.
Oh, how great is my spirit! I feel superior to that miserable world lost
in the immeasurable distance beneath me; planets frolic about me -
comets pass by casting forth their fiery tails, and centuries hence they
will return, still running like horses on the field of space. How I am
soothed by this immensity! Yes, this is indeed made for me; the infinite
surrounds me on all sides. I am devouring it with ease.

- Gustave Flaubert , Smarh 1839, Translated by Jim Leblanc

dedicated to mum.