(meteorobs) Outburst at 6h UT August 13 >>>> Re: Perseids Still Strong

Pierre Martin dob14.5 at sympatico.ca
Thu Aug 13 20:57:11 EDT 2009

Hello Joe,

Observing under excellent clear sky conditions on August 13, I can
confirm that there was a strong surge of Perseids at around 6h UT.
I'm just decoding the tape, and *several* Perseids every minute were
seen around that time, and this went on for several minutes!  My guess
is that the ZHR must have reached a very strong level, maybe 200.

I had taken note of your original message, mentioned it during my
Perseids talk during a recent RASC meeting, and alerted my local
astronomy clubs of the possible outburst.

It really made for an impressive night!!!  Even some of my non-meteor
observers friends were impressed at the rates around 6h UT on August
13.  What I find puzzling is why the IMO's visual quicklook page
doesn't yet reveal the feature.  It could be that there isn't much
data available yet... hopefully more data will come in and show what
truly happened.  I hope to contribute mine soon!

Pierre Martin
Ottawa, Ontario