(meteorobs) Perseids from Yellowstone

Gregg Pasterick greggpasterick at yahoo.com
Wed Aug 12 12:07:45 EDT 2009

Howdy sleepy meteor folks...

...I was gonna ignore the peak this year, but then came news of the possible outburst so out I went...

My wife and I found a piece of ground along the Madison River, in Yellowstone National Park, and began counting meteors at 1:00am MDT. During that first hour I counted 37 Perseids and 5 other meteors. During the second hour (beginning at 2:00am) I counted 45 Perseids and 1 other. By 3:00am the sky was pale and unhealthy looking with monlight. I counted 7 Perseids and 1 other meteor during the next 15 minutes and then gave it up at 3:15.

45 of my 89 Perseids were mag. 0.0 or brighter (last year, in the desert of southern Cal., there were very few bright Perseids). My average magnitude was +0.93.

The most impressive sight was a pair of simultaneous Perseids, side by side, which streaked between Lyra and Cygnus, covering about 20 deg. of sky. One was mag. -3.0, while the other was mag. -4.0. The brighter of the two displayed a train that lasted about 10 seconds...

It was a great 2.25 hours of Perseids; brought back lots of memories of meteor showers in the '80s and '90s...

Check out my blog, at Blah, Blah, Blog...

Lots of new photos in slide shows at my website

Gregg,
yer restless Gypsy Innkeeper and Midlife Crisis sufferer...

...still available, "The Midlfe Crisis B & B: A Marginally Exaggerated Account of a Gypsy Innkeeper's Life." It's only $16.99, which includes shipping. You can order it directly from me ya know, or at my Website, Blah, blah, blah...