(meteorobs) Perseids follow-up

Bruce McCurdy bmccurdy at telusplanet.net
Sat Aug 22 17:45:46 EDT 2009

    Finally have a minute to follow-up on last week's abbreviated report
from Cypress Hills Dark Sky Preserve. It turned out that the three-hour
window that we got the first night (Wed-Thu the 12-13) provided the only
observing of the entire Saskatchewan Summer Star Party / RASC General
Assembly weekend. While the weather was disappointing to the vast majority
of the 402 registrants, from the perspective of meteor observation that
window could hardly have been better timed, given the outburst which
occurred around 6h UT. Indeed, with a start time of 0427 and a finish of
0733, my observing session was exactly centred on 0600 UT!

    After a late night abortively chasing the first outburst here in
Edmonton, just 2.5 hours sleep, and an 8-hour drive to Cypress Hills I was
concerned I might just crash out early, but the action was sufficient to
render me fully awake and alert for the first 2+ hours. It was perhaps the
finest display of Perseids for me since Mount Kobau in 1994. Right from the
beginning and despite the low altitude of the radiant I was impressed with
both the quantity and quality of meteors. Virtually all were trained, to the
point that I made a note on my digital voice recorder when I finally saw
one -- my 28th of the night! -- that wasn't. The brightest Perseids featured
persistent trains of 5 to 20 seconds. Most of these occurred in the hour
leading up to 06:00, after which the numbers of raw meteors continued to
ramp up (despite a dip in limiting magnitude after moonrise and increasing
cloud obstruction) but the average magnitudes diminished. I finally had to
stop due to cloud obstruction at 06:45, and while it opened up again a
little later I had mentally started to power down and managed just two
shortened intervals between 07:10 and 07:33 before calling it a night. By
that point, meteors were still fairly plentiful but the numbers of bright
ones had clearly diminished, and my exhaustion started to catch up with me.

    Here's a summary:

Interval **** # PER ** Mean ** Brightest
0427-0441 *** 13 *** +1.2 *** -2
0442-0456 *** 13 *** +1.6 *** -2
0457-0511 *** 12 *** +1.0 *** -1
0512-0526 **** 8 *** +0.5 *** -3
0527-0541 *** 12 *** +0.7 *** -6
0542-0600 *** 15 *** +0.9 *** -6    (inc. 4 min. break)
0601-0615 *** 19 *** +1.7 *** -4
0616-0630 *** 22 *** +1.6 *** -2
0631-0645 *** 14 *** +1.7 *** -3

0710-0720 *** 10 *** +1.4 *** -2
0724-0733 *** 12 *** +2.3 *** 0

    With 168 total meteors over 2.6 hours Teff I'll spare you the full
play-by-play account, but will list below the 27 negative-magnitude meteors
I recorded. Note that "~" is my shorthand for the duration of a persistent
train. The highlight occurred at 0542 when I saw Perseids of mag -6 and -3 a
few seconds apart, which for several seconds left two fading trains
diverging from the radiant and separated by about 20-30 degrees.

0427 PER -1
0434 PER -1
0441 PER -2
0451 PER -2
0504 PER -1
0510 PER -1, ~2s green
0517 PER -2, ~3s
0521 PER -3, ~5s off-white
0524 PER -1, bronze
0527 PER -6, ~15s
0535 PER -3, ~5s
0542 PER -6, ~20s
0542 PER -3, ~5s
0543 PER -1, orange
0605 PER -2
0610 PER -2
0613 PER -4, ~10s
0617 PER -1, orange
0621 PER -2, ~3s
0621 PER -1
0624 PER -1
0630 PER -1, bronze
0635 PER -3
0635 PER -1
0639 SDA -2

0710 PER -2, orange
0720 PER -1

   The weather got steadily worse in the subsequent days and nights. Plans
for my Friday evening meteor clinic went from "under the stars" to "under
the clouds" to "in a tent out of the rain" to "can't find the tent through
the fog", and the clinic was ultimately cancelled. Maybe next year!

    Bruce
    *****

PS: Congrats to Esko Lyytinen, Jeremie Vaubaillon, Mikhail Maslov, and Joe
Rao for their predictions which collectively seem to have nailed those two
outbursts.