(meteorobs) OT -Question to the UFOCaptureV2 users....

Francisco Ocaña albireo3000 at yahoo.es
Sun Aug 23 13:00:43 EDT 2009

Hi Larry,

UfoCapture is not easy to configure because it has tenths of settings,
but when they are properly set, you have full control and knowledge
about your video.

It is impossible to speak about the *best* or the *right* configuration
for the software. Each camera needs a careful process, mostly trial and
error. You can find what each setting means at:
http://sonotaco.com/soft/UFO2/help/english/index.html

For instance, your problem now is the excess of blank captures. The
solution is raising the detecting threshold level and watch what
happens. For fireballs I used the value of 15 and I have 1 or 2
detection per night (plus planes). Now I detect 3rd magnitude meteors
with a threshold value of 7, but I have a 50% rate of false detections (
noise, many satellite flares, birds, bats, bugs, planes ...).

You said " I want to be sure my settings favor UFOCapture before I make
a judgement call on its value to me. " Its value is 18900Yen. Which now
means 200$, but 2 years ago was only 150$. Does it worth the 200$?
Probably, for sure it did the 150$. Handy Avi costs only 40$, but
UfoCapture is more versatile and meteor-dedicated. If you want just to
record fireballs maybe Handy Avi is enough, but UfoC enables you to do
the astrometry of the meteors of each night in less than 5 minutes.

My 2 cents,

Paco

Larry escribió:
> Hi Paul.
>
> I have been testing UFOCapture V2.22 on two different computers and computer
> settings simultaneously.
>
> Quite frankly I am disappointed in the inconsistant behavior and too many
> captures of nothing and too short captures of something. Even the
> examination of hot pixels is different on both computers with Scint.
> masking, and noise tracking from THE SAME CAMERA SOURCE!
>
> Handyavi (IS) a lot more reliable on both of the computers when activated.
>
> That is why I asked the question..... I want to be sure my settings favor
> UFOCapture before I make a judgement call on its value to me.
>
> There have been no bright fireballs to be sure yet.........
>
> YCSentinel

>>> 2)  Detect size.