(meteorobs) OT -Question to the UFOCaptureV2. -PAUL PUGH et.al.,

Larry ycsentinel at att.net
Mon Aug 24 01:56:08 EDT 2009

It is getting very interesting now.

My settings are probably radical and I will list them shortly after I
mention that the worst computer running UFO is 800mhz & 384mb memory. It is
still really flakey but does detect weak meteors even tho' it does not
produce .avi's good or long enough to see all the full flight path. Same on
airplanes, jerky .avi motions. Settings are the the same as on a faster
computer running UFO also. I plan on changing motherboards to 900mhz & 512mb
ram if it will fit the case on the slower one to see if that is the problem
with it.

Meanwhile.... the bigger computer running UFO is 2392mhz with 2.048Gb ram.
It has been capturing short and fast meteors and tonight captured a 13
second aircraft and played it back perfectly as an .avi. (I am experimenting
on the Frame Shift Diff. number). It was at 5 when the plane was recorded
and I am reducing it to 3 to see if bright planes drop out too soon. Long
Plane flights are a good way of making sure UFO is working.

Anyway to the settings.....

Checking Detect level Noise & Scintillation Mask killed me. Even after
reducing their effects with numerical adjustments. I used MaskW (with the
Scintillation checked) to see how much reduction to try. It got better. As
it turns out, not using Scintillation Mask (at all) was best for me. Detect
Level Noise also is not good because it is self adjusting and can make weak
meteors disappear altogether by ramping up the Detect Level.

One of the key adjustments is to make Detect Size....really small! I use 3
even with the detect level bouncing around 50. A small meteor will go easily
over these two adjustments and cause a trigger.

Nothing else is checked except Superimpose date/time on the Input Tab.

On the Operation Tab... leave everything alone on Still Image Capture box.
Check the start-stop box and set the hours.

I do not check any other box and leave everything else I would not use there
alone....the way it was. Then I save my settings.

So for now..... I am trying to decide on what the Frame Shift Diff. number
should be by observing its effect on both planes and short fast meteors. The
final number will be between 1 and 5 I think.....for tonight it is 3.

UFOV2.22 is working (quite well at this point) on the faster
computer....better than HandyAvi ever did. (IMHO)

YCSentinel