(meteorobs) OT -Question to the UFOCaptureV2. -PAUL PUGH et.al.,

Larry ycsentinel at att.net
Fri Aug 28 00:30:09 EDT 2009

Yes Paco, the minimum processor & memory requirements for UFO Ver.2.22 is
formidable.

The settings I outlined previously was to make UFO extremely sensitive to
EVERY tiny apparent light motion in the sky. It is a good starting point to
assess the effects of changing any other UFO parameter one at a time. This
starting position is excellent for meteor radiants and total meteor counts
using the "T" image....but not magnitude. The .avi's are flawless.

Since I seek only a reliable backup for Sentinel in case it misses a
fireball during its number crunching reset time, It will work better(but not
easier) than HandyAvi. These starting setups mentioned will NOT be what I
will use for the actual Sentinel back-up operation.

(I believe) great care must be excersized on Scintillation Mask and Frame
shift settings. Both can cause clipping on leading edges & trailing edges of
a meteors weaker ablation. I understand that frame shift value determines
how far back in the frames UFO looks in determining a trigger or ending a
triggered .avi.... (IF) Head & Tail are short values. I will continue to use
30 (1 second) on both and examine that function more closely later.

I will NEVER use Slow Object masking. I need the plane trails and also will
not risk losing any part of slower fireballs. Another area of further
investigation....

Dark Object masking could be (VERY) useful for Spiders & Bugs on the dome,
Birds, etc., during the hours of subdued light. I get many of these
irritations.

On captures to date: Numerous short meteors etc., down to 1/10 inch on
screen and smaller. A lot of fireballs under 1/2 inch lately. About 4
fireballs 3/4 inch and of course (LOTS) of "highly desired" plane traces
superimposed as a composite which certifies everything is running well. :-)

On HandyAvi..... I am about to put it to bed. "Early-on" 3 or so years ago
the frame skipping was measured here with a 1 second Oscilloscope trace and
1 or more frames were dropping at what appeared to be regular intervals in
every 1 second .avi.  I dismissed it as being caused by a slower computer
with marginal Ram or the characteristics of the AverMedia capture card I
had. Since then, I have ran HandyAvi on the 2.4Ghz. / 2Gb. Ram computer with
the same frame skipping playback and jerky motion of moving objects. UFO
uses the same model card without these defects.

HandyAvi was fine for a cheap, easy, back-up capture
solution..........."back then". Here is a URL to a defective HandyAvi
recording of an important Bolide. See insert of a correct composite image
after .avi frames were re-arranged using the pre- and post- frame content.
http://cams.seti.org/sentinel/page2.html  HandyAvi pictures are difficult to
enlarge.  :-/

Long post. Unavoidable if others are interested.

YCSentinel